[Zope] - FYI: Addition to roadmap -- Zope Classes

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:45:57 +0000

"Andrew M. Kuchling" wrote:

> Paul Everitt writes, regarding Zope Classes:
> >I could then package this Folder up as a Zope Class and make it
> >available to all Folders in the system (or ship it to someone else's
> >system).  People would now have "Feedback Folder" as a list of possible
> >things they could add.  But unlike Zope Products, there is no
> >lib/python/Products/ directory on the filesystem with the Python code.
>
>         Interesting news.  Presumably this means that some export
> format for Zope objects will be decided upon,

There already is an export mechanism and format.  The ability
to export applications that Paul refers to is already in Zope
but is not currently documented.  The soon to be released Zope
manager's guide will describe how to develop distributable Zope
applications through the Zope interface.  Basically, when you make
a distribution of a Zope application, you get a tar ball that can
be installed as a Zope product.  This happens to
include data in the Zope export format.

> which may have the
> pleasant side effect of making it easier to keep synchronization
> between two different Zope installations.

Not really.  Synchronization involves wildly more difficult issues
that export/import formats.  The mechanics if export and import are
pretty trivial.  The hard parts of synchronization have to do with
security and (transactional/object) integrity issues.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.