[Zope] - Where do I put source code files???

Roey Katz katz@wam.umd.edu
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:50:46 GMT

(I posted this in c.l.p half a week ago;  I haven't seen it appear on
my news server so I think it didn't make it)

Hello,

	In trying to write a Zope Product-conformant management
program, I've been reading as much as possible on the Zope object
publisher and repository.   Every Zope example I've seen (off of
Zope.org's documents and contributed software) lacks any insight on
WHERE to put my source files.  For example: the Trinkets Tutorial API
doesn't mention how I should have the Z ORB set up;  I read of a
http://domainname:8081/projects/users/username/cgi-bin/example.cgi but
I don't understand if example.cgi  should be under the Principia
object heirarchy or under the actual filesystem.  Wouldn't I have to
'import Globals; import Acquisition; ...'  within the example's source
code in order to access the Zope ORB?  (incidentally, when I install
and run an external method, I don't have to import anything -- Zope is
in my namespace). What is the name of the daemon that fields orb
requests over the web (serve.sh?).   Should I be able to import
Acquisition, etc., from a normal python prompt? (my installation of
Python doesn't find it.  I've Red Hat 5.2, Python 1.5.1 and Zope 1.9
built from source).
	My project includes dtml files, icons, and source files.  If I
write it as  a Product, how can I make it so that someone needs only
to access a .cgi on my home page to be able to access it?  Do all
these files go under lib/python/Products/<project-name>? if so, what
about the files I create in the Principia management screen? why
aren't those objects on the file system too? Does there exist any way
to export them from the database to disk so that I can distribute my
package easily? (the Principia Manger's Guide mentions backing up
source code and support -- not objects that have since been installed
in the object heirarchy by the program.)
	I can find manuals on Zope technical definitions, dtml
scripting, etc. ad nauseum, yet I can't find any simple explanation on
where my files go. I've searched in dejanews, the FAQ, and all the
manuals on zope.org. Perhaps someone has a  page on starship that
deals with this?

Thanks,
Roey Katz
katz@wam.umd.edu