[Zope] - Re: XML-RPC

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:51:32 -0500

skip@calendar.com wrote:

>     Jim> I think that XML-RPC would almost certainly be a cool thing to
>     Jim> support in Zope, and Zope would be a cool server for XML RPC.  IMO,
>     Jim> the right way to do it would be to add support for it to
>     Jim> ZPublisher.
>
> Yes, and Dave Winer would like to see Zope support XML-RPC.  I could add it
> easily to the module I'm currently publishing.  I'll see what I can come up
> with.  It's perhaps not what Jim had in mind, but should be easily
> incorporated into other peoples' servers.
>
>     Jim> XML-RPC (http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/code/rpc.html) uses
>     Jim> POST requests with content type "text/xml".  (Does anyone but me
>     Jim> think that this content type is a bit too broad?)
>
> I suspect on the surface it might be.  I'm no whiz with HTTP, but XML-RPC
> requests are supposed to POST to /RPC2:
>
>     POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.0

That was just an example.  XML-RPC says:

"The format of the URI in the first line of the
header is not specified. For example,
it could be empty, a single slash, ....
we allow the URI to help route the request to the
code that handles XML-RPC requests."

For Zope, the URI should point at a Zope object.

> I think that should serve to distinguish between different uses of text/xml,
> yes?

Nope.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.