[Zope] - external methods and pickling

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:20:11 +0000

Note that external method "module" files are not really
modules.  In fact, I need to remove the word "module" from
the UI and documentation.  Because they are nor real modules,
they cannot be used to define picklable classes.  Perhaps
this is where the problem you are running into is coming
from.

Note that you can define classes in regular Python modules
and import these modules into ExternalMethods.  Perhaps that would
be an approach that you could use.

Wolf Logan wrote:

> i think i have finally figured out why the code i published earlier was
> failing. apparently it's a serious incompatibility between my library code
> and zope. for now, i have to abandon zope and stick with zpublisher, which
> i'm only now beginning to get installed.
>
> basically, part of my library code unpickles a class instance from a stream
> over a socket. this works fine usually, but apparently it just doesn't work
> inside zope. zope's unpickler is "different" enough that it can't unpickle
> this class, and the code crashes with the error i reported eariler.
>
> i've tried changing my code to use a different unpickler, so as not to
> collide with zope, but it didn't help. i don't know enough about the
> persistant object system to fix the problem, and i'm running smack into a
> major deadline. if anybody has any ideas, i'd love to hear 'em.

You can try sending some details to support@digicool.com, however, I'd be
the one responding and I'm going to be unavailable for the next week or two.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.