[Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:00:16 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 09:21:10AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> > 	<?ztml #var arg ?>
>
> Ahh, tis nuthin better than seeing a patch accompany a proposal :^)

One tries to be productive, no matter how boring the tweek :-)

> Here's my main beef with this.  The ostensible goal of the XML syntax is
> to make it parse-able by new tools.  Unfortunately, a valid use of the
> current syntax:

> which is legal, would become:

> which *not* valid XML...is it?  That is, can you have markup inside
> markup?

Well, my quick re-read of the XML spec is unclear in regards to the
exact tag in question... It's most certainly NOT acceptable to put other
tags inside say regular paired tag (start/end tag) or a standalone tag,
but a PI tag is not really discussed, and it does have special
dispensation according to the document, in that it is one of the few
tags in which the < and & caharacters don't have to be escaped.  It's
clearly meant for what I've used it for...

Now, whether XML parsers interpret this the same way, I don't know...
BTW, the W3C really needs to NOT use hideously ugly backgrounds behind
their standards... it's nearlyt impossible to read the XML standard
online from the horrendous background pattern.

Chris