[Zope] - Re: Name clashes (PIL vs Zope)...

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:24:21 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 09:07:16AM -0600, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> [ namespace problem with Zope and PIL ]
>
> Actually this problem should probably be a wake-up call for
> the Python community to address the issue properly, which
> is related to what Greg Ward is organizing in the dist-sig.
> Zope/PIL gives us the first real-world example of what
> can occur when the issue is left dormant.

Actually, I think one thing that would help (no offense /F) is that
everyone should put their code in packages, for example, I recently ran
into a problem with HTMLgen, since it doesn't do this, and it has a file
named the same as something else I wrote... big nono... I reaise
packages are a tiny bit more troublesome to write than anything else,
and a tiny tiny bit more difficult to use, but...

BTW, Robin Dunn uses a naming scheme TCS.packagename for the BSD DB
support and I've certainly had no problems with it.  I think the
proliferation of Java has aclimated people to using a more um...
"verbose" scheme.

That doesn't mean I'm saying that all the standard stuff should be moved
into org.python.string or whatever

But maybe it should?  THAT would definately be a Python 2.0 thing.

Chris