[Zope] - about zope and object (product) publishing

Vladimir Tomasovic Vladimir.Tomasovic@kiss.sk
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:27:51 +0100

hi all,

company where i work among other thing creates web applications. we mostly
program them as cgi scripts in perl, but we do not find it to be the best
way. we'd rather find som product (framework), where we could do something
like publishing objects. in this enviroment behaviour of object, and their
displaying should be somehow independent.

for example, i'd define object Guestbook, with it's behaviour. this object
i'd use on different websites and for each website i'd define other way of
displaying.

we want this object publishing framework to be open source. we found zope
and right now are evaluating it. i think it's nice and it fullfils many of
our needs, but i have following problem:

i define object (product) in python, together with his behaviour and
default displaying. well, it appears in products list and then i can ad it
to any folder.

what i dont know is how to change displayng of product. all i can do is
change displaying of instance of product, but thats not ok. id like to
define some properties for product, that i could change in products folder
and that changes would appear in all instances of product. well, i can do
it by changing python code, but that's bad solution, because i want object
and (other than default) displaying to be independent.

would you please let me know, or point to documents, where i could find how
to define product properties, that are system-wide? i'm new to zope and
python and could not resolve the issue.

thanks!

i'd also like, if you let me know about other object publishing frameworks,
that are open sourced. i was not able to find anything comparable to zope.

thanks one more time, have a nice day,

bye
	Deckard (Vladimir.Tomasovic@kiss.sk)