[Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:23:16 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 10:34:12AM -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:

> IMHO, the current Zope syntax cannot survive into the "XML age." People
> will want to author their templates in XML editors and Zope's illegal
> syntax will prevent this.

I personally cannot forsee what "people" will want to do in 3 months,
nor can anyone else.  Today, XML is the trendy answer to every question
asked regardless of its merit or robustness.  I don't disagree that
there will be people who want to do this, and I don't argue that such a
system shouldn't be supported.  But I do argue that for most everything
people do today, wit hteh tools they have TODAY, that the current syntax
is perfectly acceptable... Maybe we need to work seperately on an
XML/XSL side, but that doesn't invalidate the current syntax, any more
than the fact that you can't do proper lexical closures with Python
invalidates its use today.

My goal was to provide an obviously incomplete fix to the current
problem of editing in HTML editors, which is what sparked this.  The fix
I proposed fixes that.  Once I have a proper XML editor with full XSL
support, it'll be easier to hypothesise about solutions, but until then,
it's all hand waving.

Chris