[Zope] - zope pcgi with apache

LEE, Kwan Soo kslee@plaza1.snu.ac.kr
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:37:49 +0900

--------------04F11D99F5B292D555574A02

Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:

> > If you are using RedHat 5.2, you'd better recompile apache from source rpm.
> >
> > LEE, Kwan Soo.
>
> Why is this?  I am having the same problem and running apache-1.3.3
> (The version that comes with RH 5.2) and running kernel version
> 2.0.35.
>
> Tony

Because often apache-1.3.3 comes with RH 5.2 does not work well with mod_rewrite
on.

First of all, I am an aweful newbie in computing & English, hence I might not be
able to explain what is the problem or what I know.

I had "similar" apache-1.3.3 mod_rewrite & authentication problem before and
posted about it 4 weeks ago.

Then due to a kind reply of Andreas, I did the following.

> Now I see, I guess,  what was the problem with "Apache's DSO and mod_rewrite" and have a
> solution for a newbie by newbie(i.e. me).
>
> It is *NOT* Apache problem but RedHat 5.2 problem as Andreas told.
>
> Now the solution for those who DO NOT know how to update SRPM spec file.
>
> 1. Get apache-1.3.3-1.src.rpm (from ftp.redhat.com or rufus.w3.org).
> 2. Install apache-1.3.3-1.src.rpm
> 3. cd into /usr/src/redhat
> 4. rpm -bc SPEC/apache.spec
> 5. cd into /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/apache_1.3.3/src
> 6. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
> 7. cp httpd /usr/sbin/httpd
> 8. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
>
> Then, it works with DSO support. Works so well to be furious. This newbie spent weeks to
> guess out what was wrong.
>
> I do not know why it works. But httpd file comes with CD is about 300K less than the one build
> from src.rpm.
>
> One obvious good thing for the above procedure is that you apache setting is not altered at all.

I hope that procedure can solve your problem, too. Now my httpd works wonderfully
well with DSO, mod_rewrite, authentication on.

LEE, Kwan Soo.

--------------04F11D99F5B292D555574A02

&nbsp;
apache from source rpm.
Because often apache-1.3.3 comes with RH 5.2 does not work well with mod_rewrite
on.
I might not be able to explain what is the problem or what I know.
before and posted about it 4 weeks ago.
<pre>Now I see, I guess,&nbsp; what was the problem with "Apache's DSO and mod_rewrite" and have a
solution for a newbie by newbie(i.e. me).&nbsp;

It is *NOT* Apache problem but RedHat 5.2 problem as Andreas told.&nbsp;

Now the solution for those who DO NOT know how to update SRPM spec file.&nbsp;

1. Get apache-1.3.3-1.src.rpm (from ftp.redhat.com or rufus.w3.org).&nbsp;
2. Install apache-1.3.3-1.src.rpm&nbsp;
3. cd into /usr/src/redhat&nbsp;
4. rpm -bc SPEC/apache.spec&nbsp;
5. cd into /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/apache_1.3.3/src&nbsp;
6. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop&nbsp;
7. cp httpd /usr/sbin/httpd&nbsp;
8. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start&nbsp;

Then, it works with DSO support. Works so well to be furious. This newbie spent weeks to
guess out what was wrong.&nbsp;

I do not know why it works. But httpd file comes with CD is about <font color="#FF6666">300K</font> less than the one build
from src.rpm.&nbsp;

One obvious good thing for the above procedure is that you apache setting is not altered at all.</pre>