[Zope] Zope in Virtual Host on ISP

Kevin Dangoor kid@ans.net
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:53:23 -0500

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 01:24:24PM -0600, Chris Larson wrote:
,-----
| OK. Here's the deal. Can someone tell me what issues I face trying to
| install Zope in my ISP-hosted virtual Apache. I have no access to root,
| and have been through much pain and suffering trying to get the thing
| installed. Ideally, a step-by-step how-to is what I'm looking for, but
| I'd welcome anything up to and including "ya can't do that."
|
| NOTE: This is not an authentication question. I look forward to the day
| I'm asked to authenticate. <cha-grin>

Actually, it's pretty straightforward, except for the authentication part.
The INSTALL.txt file (in the docs directory of the Zope distribution)
breaks it down to a nice set of steps.

If there is something unclear in that doc, you may want to send a note
to the list asking about that specifically. (The DC guys have been
working hard to improve the docs).

As far as authentication, you are going to want to ask your ISP if they've
got mod_rewrite installed. You can use Zope without mod_rewrite, but
(to me) it seems like a pain, because you have to maintain a user list
for the webserver (in .htpasswd) and another copy of the user list (in
the User Folders) in Zope.

| Alternatively, I could prolly ask the admin to install it for me, but to
| be honest, I'm not even sure what to ask. I'm relatively comfortable in
| unix, but haven't dealt with Apache much at all, aside from uploading
| pages and cgis.

Is python already installed there? If so, I really don't think you'll
run into much trouble...

Kevin
`-----

--