[Zope] ZODB and quotas

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:33:29 -0400

michel@digicool.com wrote:

> Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@mtg.co.at> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've been wondering how well ZODB deals with disk full conditions?
> > Is it reasonable to put one Zope account quotas?
> >
> > (Side note: Is there any way to do something equivalent to ``du'' with
> >             Zope? Finding out how much storage is used by some Subfolder,
> >             even if not very accurate would be probably a "good thing".
> >

> It might be possible, note that it would have the same limitations as
> du: it would 'wake up' (activate from the Object Store) all objects to
> guage their size,

Not necessarily.  There's a hook in ZODB3 to allow transactions to include
accounting information with the intention that future storage managers
might implement quota's by keeping running storage statistics by account
without having to read old data.

> and then there is the question of previous object
> versions, should you consider the size of previous versions in the
> Object Database?

IMO, yes, since you are still consuming resources.  Obviously,
this is a policy decision.

BTW, I thought Andreas was asking a different qestion than the
one you answered, specifically, what would happen if ZODB ran out
of disk space.

repeats.