[Zope] Survey: Gadfly usage

Robert Carey carey@gsi.org
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:12:47 -0400

--------------56AF07BE686D4BADE38B331C

     1. Have you ever used Gadfly?  If so, please describe in 30
     words, what you
     used it for.

Yes. We are currently developing a prototype of a web application with
modest db requirements in Zope.  For various reasons it became necessary
to move it from Linux to a Windows NT box.  I didn't have a database
that would work under NT.  Initially I was afraid Gadfly wouldn't cut
it, but in fact I got the application ported in about half an hour using
Gadfly.  Since then I have found it to be an extremely useful tool for
playing with SQL in Python with Zope.  (Sorry for exceeding the 30 word
limit.)

     2. Did you find it useful?

Yes.  However, I would find it more useful if Zope included

1) the current release of Gadfly with support for metadata queries

2) support for the server version of Gadfly - Currently I have to employ
a hack in my external methods to get access to the open connection Zope
is using.  Otherwise I can update the disk tables from Python methods,
but not the tables Zope is using in core.

     3. Was the fact that it was included important to you?

I think it is useful to have some kind of simple SQL engine included
with Zope.

     4. Do you believe we should continue to include Gadfly in
     Zope?

Yes.

     5. Do you believe we should move Gadfly to an add-on
     distribution?

No.

--------------56AF07BE686D4BADE38B331C

in 30 words, what you
Yes. We are currently developing a prototype of a web application with
modest db requirements in Zope.&nbsp; For various reasons it became necessary
to move it from Linux to a Windows NT box.&nbsp; I didn't have a database
that would work under NT.&nbsp; Initially I was afraid Gadfly wouldn't
cut it, but in fact I got the application ported in about half an hour
using Gadfly.&nbsp; Since then I have found it to be an extremely useful
tool for playing with SQL in Python with Zope.&nbsp; (Sorry for exceeding
the 30 word limit.)
Yes.&nbsp; However, I would find it more useful if Zope included
a hack in my external methods to get access to the open connection Zope
is using.&nbsp; Otherwise I can update the disk tables from Python methods,