[Zope] "Add" button is gone in Zope 2

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:20:43 +0200

At 19:05 10/07/99 , Alexander Staubo wrote:
>I notice that the folder contents screen has been changed in Zope 2: the
>"Add" button is gone, and instead the "add new object" combo box now
>automatically adds an object when you select the metatype to insert.
>
>I doubt that this is a good design choice. First of all, this certainly
>isn't how combo boxes normally behave. Secondly, personally I tend to
>browse a combo box with the mouse or the keyboard. Certainly the latter
>isn't possible now. The "Add" button is an imperative command ("add
>this!"), and automatically _assuming_ I want to add an object because I
>chose a metatype from a list isn't. If it were a link, it'd be
>different, because links are implicitly imperative ("go here!"), but
>HTML selects/combo boxes really are not.
>
>Having the good old "Add" button adds one extra click to every add
>operation. Now, how much an improvement is the new method really, I ask,
>compared to the pains incurred by changing standard behaviour?

In spite of the danger of this becoming a 'me too' email, I say:

Me Too!

The add button is a clear marker on the page for first-time users and other
novices. And indeed, for power users it has now become impossible to use
the keyboard to select the right item.

I, personally, sometime move to fast with the mouse, and accidentally
select the wrong entry. This is not that bad when using a local server, but
add any latency, and this becomes very irritating if the interface
immediately proceeds to add the selected object.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer