[Zope] Requirement for 2.0

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

IMHO, Zope *is* fairly easy to build and install. I
had to muddle through a bit to get it to work on
pair's servers, but I did get it working and it would
not be difficult to make sure that the install docs
contain the necessary info.

The big issue that I've found is that many hosting
companies do not want people to run Zope because of
its resource requirements. It takes a lot more of a
machine's memory to run a bunch of Zope instances than
it does to run Apache instances. But, I think people
would have a similar issue with ColdFusion.

Just as there are hosting companies that offer
ColdFusion as an (optional, usually) feature, I think
it would be good for many of those same companies to
offer Zope. CodeIt does a really good job today of
offering a fully-baked Zope service. I don't have to
muck about with the Zope installation at all.

IMHO, having hosting companies offer some
preconfigured Zope services is a bigger win than
making it a bit easier for people to install Zope in
their user space (which is against many web hosting
company's policies anyhow).

Kevin