[Zope] Text won't Wrap on Zope site

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:54:59 +0200

[Quickly approaching off-topicness ;-)]

> 620 seems to be a good page width. It fits any browser running on a
> 640x480 screen, and it's a comfortable page width for reading -- about
> the size of a paperback book page, I think.

It seems that Microsoft started this craze for broad pages by making IE so
that it comes up in a "landscape" window (at least, that's what I remember
from the one time I ran the thing - no worries, I had my computer inside a
five-pointed star and a circle of lit candles ;-)).

This is nice for web brochures, which, like real paper brochures, are void of
information in any format. However, at least the coming few decades, for
textual content the reference format is a book. The Book Interface[tm],
determined by the paper size and margins, is almost strictly portrait with an
aspect ratio of 4x3 or thereabouts. This is not without reason: it is harder
to read long lines.

Consequently, a lot of users surfing mostly information pages have their
browsers in a portrait-sized window. This is also the default for Netscape to
come up with. The width varies - on my 1024x768 screen I have the outer window
size between 600 and 620, meaning that for content you have ~580 pixels, but
sometimes I make it smaller in order to fit another window besides it.

Anyway, the only conclusion you can draw from the discussion is not to make
any assumptions on the screen width, and to attempt to allow for strange
window sizes as much as possible. This is especially important for
documentation pages, because they're typically used in a "secondary" window
besides the "main" window (where the documented piece of software runs). For
this purpose alone, I'd like the Zope docs to fit in windows as small as, say,
540 pixels accross...
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>