[Zope] Zope and Frontier Comparison

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:37:37 -0400

Michael wrote:
> Anyway, I for one am glad to have you and the other Frontier
> people here on this
> list, and I'm sure that the cross-pollination of ideas will
> benefit both
> communities, even as our platforms compete in certain areas.

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I'm awfully excited about getting
the persective of more Frontier people.  Zope could use some of the
usability that is so ingrained in Frontier.

I _will_ note, however... :^)

Yesterday we were giving our workflow spiel to a group of distinguished
guests and the topic of acquisition came up.  Rob Page here was
discussing how acquisition allowed us to create general SQL queries high
up in the folder hierarchy that were narrowed by properties lower in the
folder hierarchy.

Thus, the SQL query to find out what was in your workflow "Inbox"
occurred all the way up in the application level.  But various
properties constrained the query as you traversed into departments and
into actors within departments.

The managers of each department folder and each actors subfolder within
the department didn't have access to see inside the SQL query -- it was
defined "up" above their management reach.  The SQL query used the first
folder property it could find as it rolled "up" the folder system.

There was a special case of a headquarters "superdepartment" that was
allowed to look at all departments.  They got their own SQL query and
thus didn't acquire the higher up SQL query.

Thus, the idea of acquisition extends to cover not just subtemplates but
also properties, security settings, relational database integration,
external methods -- anything that is an object in Zope.  And most
importantly, the security rules are obeyed.

In Frontier, if you "acquire" a subtemplate that you are not allowed to
access, does it prevent you from accessing it?

--Paul