[Zope] Creating an order form with multiple lines...

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 07:56:53 -0400

Hi Paolo:

> I  am trying to create an order form for producing
> orders. This form should allow the creation of a
> general header of the order, and then adding line
> to line to the order itself.
>
> Till the very last line has not been introduced,
> there should be no committment on the sql DB I am
> using as a data backend.
>
> I have some difficulties in defining the form for
> the order lines. Can you provide useful
> suggestions ?

Assuming that the order forms were not going to be very long you might
store a cookie containing a list of part_numbers on the order form and
the customer_id.

Each time the customer came back you'd use sql to look up the customer
info and part info.  Of course, when they click Purchase you do the
right database thing.  You shoudl read about Zopes ability to simplify
the handling of lists with the :list property.  Search the DTML Guide
for that.  You might even want to go to
http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib and check out the EMarket
contributed package.  It has some clever ideas.

--Rob