[Zope] Zope v Enhydra v NAS v ASP?

michel@digicool.com michel@digicool.com
18 Jul 1999 15:26:36 -0400

danda@netscape.com writes:

> I'm evaluating application servers for a small project I'm contemplating
> that will require persistent storage of user data (text + images), and
> of course, dynamic personalized pages.  I would like to store/retrieve
> all non-binary data (user and other) as XML if possible.

Zope can do that, it can also speak XML-RPC thanks to Eric Kidd.

> Can anyone point me towards a document that compares Zope and Enhydra?
> For kicks, I would also be interested in comparisons with NAS, JSP, ASP,
> etc.  I'm mainly interested in ease-of-development, user management, xml
> support, and scalability/performance.

I don't know of any such document.  At this point in the game, it's
all just wild speculation, and no one is going to compare an open
source product with a commercial one, the recent Linux/Microsoft
debacle proves that a moot point; at some point the marketing people
step in and it's a war of words, and truly, words have no power.

Comparing two open source applications is fairly reasonable (like
Enhydra) but I don't think anyone has made such a comparison, and I
doubt we'll see a fair one any time soon that would sway any
professional, that's one of the things about open source, if you
believe the marketing hype, you might as well let youself be suckered
into buying the commercial products anyway.  They'll apreciate your
money and actually save you the time of learning the differences
yourself.

I don't mean this to sound to sharp edged, but that is what I beleive
about open source software, if you *know* it's better, because you've
learned and seen with your own eyes, marketing hype soon becomes
background noise, and you can truly see what an application really is.

-Michel