[Zope] MySQLDA performance

Erik Myllymaki erikm@islandnet.com
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:28:55 -0700

I have been doing some tests (admitedly incomplete and unscientific) with
Zope and a MySQL database.

Using ZServer to parse a simple page with one "included" file = 18 hits per
second(hps).
Using PHP3 and Apache to parse a like page with the same "inlcuded" file =
16 hps

Using ZServer w/ a Z SQL method to display a table (select * from <!-- #var
table-->) = 3 hps
Using PHP3 and Apache to display the same table = 13 hps.

Looking at the MySQL logs, they both keep a persistent connection. Why is
it so much slower with Zope?They are delivering the exact same content with
each request. The parsers are doing the same job at the surface, although I
don't have a full grasp of what goes on beneith...
As a parser, they are similar in speed, but with the database connection,
ZServer falters.

I tried starting ZServer with "-t 1" as I read in a previous post, but the
result was similar.

Testing done using Pounder II.

erik myllymaki
erikm@islandnet.com