[Zope] product management question

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:46:10 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:41:43 -0400,
Brian Lloyd <Brian@digicool.com> said:

Brian> "Installed" products are products that are written purely in
Brian> Python - they are either included with Zope or are packaged
Brian> as a tgz file that installs a package into lib/python/Products.

Brian> "Through the web" products are built throught the web and are stored
Brian> in the Zope database.

Brian> To move an "installed" product from site to site, you just copy the
Brian> product distribution (.tgz file ) to the new site and unpack it.
Brian> Because "installed" products have no state stored in the Zope ODB,
Brian> they do not have a distribution tab. "Through the web" products
Brian> allow you to create a product distribution (tgz file) that, once
Brian> installed, brings the persistent state of the product into the
Brian> ODB at restart when you install it on a different site. The
Brian> "distribution" tab basically creates an installable snapshot
Brian> of your through-the-web product.

Brian> Hope this helps!

Yep, it does. One remaining question though: If I am writing a "though
the web" product, say something with a few ZClasses in it, and I want to
move it to another zope server, but want it to still be "though the
web", i.e. have a distribution tab on the other server. Is that
possible?

--
Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA