[Zope] Upgrading Zclasses

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:01:21 -0400

> Well, the DCE UUID algorithm uses the NIC's MAC address, which is
> independent of the host name; host names tend to change, MAC addresses
> tend not to. The UUID algorithm also includes a guard against
> backward-moving clocks.

If this becomes a serious problem, we can revisit this, but there are some
different goals involved here.   Also, a MAC address is not portably
accessible across all platforms for Python, so we'd have to develop yet
another extension of questionable value to its intended goal.

Once we have a few hundred million Zope users, we can see if we have any
real collision domain.

Chris