[Zope] Running ZopeHTTPServer and PCGI together = a bad thing?

Tom Schwaller Tom.Schwaller@linux-magazin.de
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:23:06 -0100

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> > Is this a fork for *every* request, eg every link I select. In that
> > case, isn't it pretty expensive overall?
> >

> A wafer-thin CGI program is forked for every request, this is used to
> connect up Apache and the Zope long running process.  So yes, this
> expensive fork happens for every request.  It's no different, however,
> then other CGI overhead.  One of these days, someone is going to write a
> mod_pcgi module for Apache, and take that expensive fork out.  For light
> loads, it's really not noticeable, but for heavy loads, one fork per
> request gets heavy.  ZServer is noticably faster in this regard than
> Apache.

I'm fighting with exactly this right now :-)
I also get a lot of Zope zombie-processes when the
server is under heavy load, but have no idea why??
BTW: When I restart Zope it happens that 4 "python Zope.."-processes
start at the same time (I have to kill them ASAP and next
time the Server starts just once. Kind of strange behavior...

Is there somebody working on mod_pcgi or is this just a wish?

Tom

--

Tom Schwaller
http://www.linux-magazin.de/