[Zope] FYI: Portal Toolkit Slides and Demo available

Robert O'Connor Robert O'Connor" <bob@rocnet.com
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:35:12 -0400

Hi Amos,

> For those of you who didn't get a chance to see a demo of the Portal
> Toolkit at Linux Expo, we've put it on-line on the Zope site:
>   http://www.zope.org/Products/PortalToolkit/Tour/

Fabulous!  I can hardly wait to get my hands on PT!

> P.S. We're thinking of creating more animated GIF demos of Zope. Do you
> think this is a good idea? If so, what sort of demos would you like to
> see? Let me know.

Yes, it's a good idea.  Ani GIFs are a good solution because they are
supported in all browsers and versions.   Although I found myself
re-running the animation with refresh and then, heck, just load my
GIF animator and going through each frame a click at a time.
Frame timing is tricky to appeal to all people.  You did well but
I wanted a closer look in certain areas.

Is there a plugin or some java module that lets one go back
and forward in an Ani GIF one frame at a time?

Is Shockwave to be avoided because of incomplete support
on various browsers and versions?  (I don't know much about
Shockwave other than it looks pretty and can create funky
sounds.)

Real Audio (G2) may be good because we could get
to hear your voice but the video portion may not be
as good quality as the Ani GIFS.  Also,  If you do
go the RA route, Consider allowing download of
the *.ra files so that they can be played offline.
I have had problems with dropped and jerky
RA streams due to my connection.

* Other Demos:
- Various more technical how-to demos
   Example: basics: forms, variables and security....
     ZClasses, ....

-Bob OConnor  bob@rocnet.com