[Zope] Weird-ish things with new Zope install on Win32...

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:42:09 -0400

This is a server specific thing.  Which HTTP server are you using?
ZopeHTTPServer?  You might want to check out ZServer, it's in beta, but
we are putting much more effort into it than ZopeHTTPServer (which we
are putting no effort into).

> Now on to the real problem.

<snip>

> The new tree worked just fine on the opening index_html
> method but each
> index_html document in sub folders didn't work. I'd either
> get a 'Sorry, an
> error occured' or a space in the table where the tree should
> be and no tree.

Sounds like you are getting mired in Acquisition.  Without seeing your
DTML and tracebacks, however, there isn't much more advice than that I
could give you.  (here's a hint, view the HTML source of any error
messages you get, there are secret clues inside).

> So then I commited the session thinking maybe that would
> help. Oh dear.
> Good job I'm testing, eh?

You can allways 'undo'.  The ZODB is a rather powerful object database.

> Another thought: While I have your ears, I feel like there is
> a tremendous
> amount of power in Zope that I'm just not getting. The zdp
> does a wonderful
> job of explaining what it explains (nice HOWTO's) but I'm
> either really
> dopey or I can't find the meat of the Zope documentation. I can't even
> remember how I stumbled on the tree control in the first
> place. What else
> is burried in there that's awesome but out of my sight? Don't
> get me wrong,
> I'm not bitching. I'm just a little disoriented in this
> whizzy new world
> and need a map.

Ah yes, the Zen of Zope.  It's not just you, there is some very deep and
powerful things going on underneath the minimalist management interface.
At first they may seem a bit quirkly, but once groked the beauty of some
of Zope's mechanisms are shocking.  It even more shocking that people
have been doing things any other way for so long.  I can't really give
you much insight, but I suggest looking at http://zdp.zope.org, those
guys are putting together alot of jumpstarter material.

Some more Zen material may be forthcomming.

-Michel