[Zope] ZODB vs SQL, ZTables

Jordan B. Baker jbb@spyderlab.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:20:16 -0400 (EDT)

hi zopesters:

I am designing an application where I'd like use the ZODB as the primary
storage and the objects being instances of ZClasses.

I'd like to navigate through them using a hierarchal category system.

Now, I assume that once I have this I can also provide other ways to
traverse the data by building indexes.  I realize this isn't quite
documented yet and its not totally importart atm because the dataset size
is small enough, but I'd like allow this app. to scale.

I'm not sure if building indexes is the only way to get another 'view' of
the data stored in the ZODB.  I could write an exthernal method to query
using the 'slow' objectValues() method, I suppose.

The questions I have are:

1) Would I be re-inventing the wheel here?  Can ZTables instantiate
ZClasses?  The reason I like the ZClasses is because I'd like to write my
business logic in Python.  I suppose I could do this with External
methods.

2) I realize the indexing system isn't well documented at this point, but
if you can figure out the system is it usable? :)

I'm just struggling a bit with the concepts of going completely OO instead
of storing my data in a SQL database.

Has anyone tackled any of these issues?  Was it worth it?

Thanks guys,

-------
Jordan B. Baker -- jbb@spyderlab.com
weaving the web @ http://www.spyderlab.com