[Zope] Ot: Re: [Zope] NEW COMMERCIAL FOR ZOPE! :-)

Zope on a Rope zope@jules.com
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:23:51 -0400

At 02:33 PM 6/8/99 +0200, Martijn Faassen rightfully pointed out:
>There are estimates that a [put in large % figure here]% of the time
>when doing web designing goes into fiddling around browser
>incompatibilities. The Mozilla pre-alphas look good in their
>implementation of web standards, though, so change is hopefully coming.
>Though we'll have to deal with the older browsers just about forever, I
>guess..

One would hope that at least basic CSS could help put a stop to this. I'm
about to embark on a gratis project for a transit company. Of course
they're a non profit, don't have two pennies to rub together, and need to
be 100% readable/usable by those with visual limitations.

So if you're using Lynx, doing JavaScript and what have you is not an
option but CSS and server-side logic (where Zope seems to excel) is clearly
the way to go.

My personal feeling is that you can strike a good balance between
usability, aesthetics, and to be as lazy as possible by putting most of
your logic server-side. I guess good are Salon (www.salon.com) and news.com
-- both are mostly text-based and are even pretty usable in Lynx!

Tom's site is a rarity -- not only does it do bunches of whizzy client side
things, it's got a lot of great content. I'm just tucking in to Alan
Cooper's "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
(http://www.cooper.com/design.html) and his take on Web sites that look
good but have no content is "painted corpses". :-) Highly recommended reading.