[Zope] University Website with Zope

Troy Shurtleff troy@mav.net
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:20:08 -0400

I a working on a more effective way to manage the website for a public
university in North Carolina.  Lately I have been considering Zope as a
possible solution.  I have spent some time using Zope and seeing what I
can do with it.

There are two features that are a priority in the web site...

1.  We need to have a search feature where users from the web can enter
a value in a search field and find documents that contain that
text.....a fairly simple operation.

I tried experimenting with the find feature in the Zope management
interface.  I was able to get close to what I want.  I had to give
anonymous users permision to view management screens.  after some search
criteria was entered a list of DTML Documents would appear that
contained the text that I searched for.  When I clicked on the documents
it took me to the management screen for that document....from there i
could view it.

I would like to be able to better control the appearance of the output
after a user does a search and I would like the user to be sent directly
to a document listed in the search results.....without going through the
management screen.

2.  We would like to have a dynamically generated site map....this will
probably only be avalible to administrators but possibly outside users.
With the site map I would like to see what is linked to what...and if
there are any broken links.  I tried using the tree tag but nothing
showed up.
	<!--#tree-->
	<!--#var id-->
	<!--#/tree-->
is there something wrong with it?  a tree view may be sufficient.

I am currently running...
Zope 1.10.2 (binary release, python 1.5.1, win32-x86), on Python 1.5.1
(#0, Nov 18 1998, 12:17:58) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.

Eventually we plan on installing Zope on our primary academic
machine....unix....that is if we can implement the features we want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to respond to this via e-mail to troy@mav.net

Thanks
Troy