[Zope] RE: Squishdot and Portal Toolkit

Butch Landingin butchland@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>
> Subject: RE: Squishdot and Portal Toolkit
>  From: Michel Pelletier
>
> No overlap, but very complimetary product.  The portal toolkit deals
> with things like membership and cataloging, whereas squisdot is a
> discussion like system ala slashdot.  One way in which the two product
> could work together better is if squishdot made sure all of it's objects
> get cataloged so as to be site wide searched.  I suspect, but I don't
> know, that squidot uses the searching machinery of Confera, which is
> similar to what the catalog uses.  I guess squishdot could be patched to
> use it's indexing machinery if a catalog is not present, and the
> catalog's if it is.

It does! it does! :) I just added some new indexes for the add'tl fields but
used the same classes that Confera used. I totally agree that they are
complimentary and should work together (I just don't have a clue how ;))

I'd love to get more feedback on how they can be more integrated. Some of the
ideas my friends and I kicked around (way back when I haven't even heard of the
portal toolkit) was how we could incorporate user customization features into
Squishdot -- things like user profiles -- which admins set up -- this would
be like a set of privileges which can control what things a user can do -- like
for example -- add topics, add articles, make comments, what topics they have
access to, etc.

Users are then attached to particular user profiles
(e.g. company employee, corporate client, executive manager) and "inherit" the
particular privileges from the profile they are attached to (e.g. what topics
are available). They can further personalize their "Squishdot experience" by subscribing
or unsubscribing to particular topics, changing the format of their pages, etc.
(something similar to what Slashdot has today, but easier to manage).

We also had this idea of implementing something like a "Theme" folder -- a folder
in which you can define a set of properties/objects together as a "theme", e.g. a particular
set of variables that control the color and images of a page. You can then bundle
a set of "themes" together, and choose what theme you liked based on the user preference
or programmatically through DTML and your objects in that folder would automatically choose
the right "theme" and render your html accordingly.

I don't know enough about the membership/cataloging features of the Portal toolkit but methinks
there's something there we can use. Any ideas?

Best regards,

Butch Landingin
butchland@yahoo.com