[Zope] FYI: Portal Toolkit Slides and Demo available

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Everitt writes:
>Hmm, I'm surprised that you'd advocate automatic reloading, as it would
>(at a minimum) stat a file on each request.  Do you think it should be
>an optional knob to specify whether to check for changes?  If so, what
>should be the default?

	I think it would have to be adjustable, defaulting to off (no
stat(), no reload).

>Would better documentation help?  For instance, we intend, once Zope2

       To some degree, though the need is much higher-level than UML
documentation.  For example, one problem was simply uncertainty over
whether the ExternalMethod was in fact the best approach.  Also, so
far I've only feebly attempted to use the debugger with Zope, but
should probably make a focused effort to get that working, perhaps in
concert with Emacs' debug-mode.

>I presume by the leading part of the question that you would feel more
>comfortable doing your processing in Python than all-DTML.  If Zope had
>a "Python Method" object, perhaps only usable by VERY privileged users,
>perhaps only in the Control Panel (say, in a Product), would that help?

	 Probably not; the problem isn't so much understanding a
completed method, as in debugging a non-working method.  A Python
Method object would simply provide another way to type in code that
would then be exceedingly painful to debug.

Chemistry is physics without thought; mathematics is physics without purpose.
    -- Anonymous