[Zope] <% ... %> ?

Chris Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:11:56 -0400

> Has it been suggested that the SSI-type syntax of Zope isn't the most
> readable thing in the world? Is this even the right list to
> suggest this
> heresy or should I strap on the asbestos underwear and wander
> over to zopedev?

Well, it encourages the violation of seperation of data, logic and
presentation.  It's necessary to understand that DTML is really more of
a REPORTING language, not a scripting language... so if you're writing
huge things that are like this, then in many cases you need to consider
breaking them apaart.

Having said that, the current "leap" from DTML to External Methods is
too great, and so there's been some talk of a Script object---this i
think would be more useful than the changes to the syntax.

Also, <% %> is totally invalid HTML and XML :-)

> Yeah, easy for me to say "oh just go rewite the parser" and
> then walk away...

The parser isn't that hard to understand :-)  Once you understand it!

Chris