[Zope] URGENT: Can't start up zope.

Dylan Jay djay@lucent.com
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:29:21 +1000 (EST)

I was doing some external method work on our production server (silly boy)
and something went very wrong. Every time I start zope it will crash. This
is both as an NT service and using ZHTTPServer. ZHTTPServer gives a stack
dump that mentions initializing products and factories and stuff
(unfortunatly my office has a power outage currently so I can't the dump
or the data.bbb until 5 hours or so). Using the bbb.py it reports no
corruptions so I can only presume the database contains some
configurations that screws up zope. To make matters worse our expensive
backup solution doesn't seem to have backed up data.bbb.

What I need to know are
a) What the likely causes of a something like I'm describing? I realize I
havn't given much to go on, but ANY information you can give me at this
point would very very appreciated.
b) What tools do I need to modify the data.bbb. I can convert it xml ok
but it seems there's no way to convert it back. Is there any tool where I
can just roll back the last few transactions? (This may not work actually
as it was probably the external method that did the damage).

In case its relevent I guess I should include some detail of the external
method I was working on. It was a method to determine if a user had
permission to view an object. It looked at a users roles and the roles
for the view permission. It would recurse with the parent if the object
aquired roles.

Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone has.

Dylan.
djay@lucent.com