[Zope] Software for Zope

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 08:17:01 +0200

I second the idea!

The contribution page right now is pretty tight -- a first-time user
will have no idea, for example, what "TinyTables" is by looking at the
page. Reorganizing the software part of zope.org better would not only
be functional, but also serve as a nice example of a dynamic Zope-built
web section. And why not mix supported and unsupported software? It
would be cool if most Zope tools and products -- including database
adapters and components -- could be put in the same hierarchy.

Moreover you should permit moderated third-party uploads, perhaps with a
section called "Incoming", a holding pen for unmoderated, recently
uploaded software. I think this section could be nearly autonomous,
since moderating the uploads would steal very little of DC's precious
time, at least theoretically -- plus, recognized authors could be given
privileged access to the database (automatic acceptance of uploads, and
ability to maintain own product information). Ties in rather nicely with
ZPT, doesn't it?

Be Inc.'s BeDepot site (http://www.bedepot.com/) could be a fitting
template here, albeit on a smaller scale until the library grows (nay,
swells!).

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"What the hell, he thought, you're only young once, and threw