[Zope] How? ZServer + PCGI

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:56:36 -0700

Jeff wrote:
>Not been keeping up with the thread (sorry), but here's a common
>scenario which often describes your symptom.
>
>1. Developers writes file to /tmp with user permissions during
>   local testing.
>2. Application tested.  Attempt to run app as a web server 'nobody'
>   process.  Process fails due to write permission error.
>3. Developer slaps forehead.  Uses chmod or chown to change
>   file mode/owner settings.  Time for a beer, which causes
>   developer's brain to double in power.

This sounds like the problem. I would guess that ZServer is creating a file
in /tmp as root, then changing to uid to nobody, then it tries to write to
the file in /tmp and fails.

This is going to take a little tinkering on my part to get right, probably
I'll delay writing the trigger file until after the suid.

But you should be able to test this by starting ZServer then looking for
/tmp/.select-trigger.<PID> and checking its ownership, and manually fixing
it if you feel like it.

-Amos

P.S. Actually there is a newer medusa select trigger that may not suffer
from these problems, but I am still having trouble getting it to work under
win32...