[Zope] Zope, PostgreSQL 6.5, and some newbie questions

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:04:47 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, after fiddling around with zope of a month or so I've finally
started to build something.  Basically it tracks software/hardware
bugs/mods in a PostgreSQL backend database.  (I'm using a brand new
PostgreSQL 6.5 build, which works fine, if anyone cares).

After a day of coding I've got insert and view pages and a whole
bunch of issues/observations/questions.  Here goes.  Sorry it
is so long.  I've been kind of saving up questions.

0) Zope looks awesome.  Time will tell.

1) Is there an easy way to see error messages?  Netscape (3.0) won't show
   me the source of a frame that had an error, so to see the stack trace
   I need to use lynx and backslash.

2) I want a basic view table/edit/update/delete interface to the underlying
   tables.  The Z Search interface + Z SQL method woks ok for queries but doesn't
   provide much support for edits/deletes.  Am I missing something or
   do I have to roll my own forms?

3) In order to keep the DTML uncluttered, I've created dtml methods to render
   things like HTML selections.  Two questions.: First, how do I access them
   if I move them to a subfolder in the same folder as the dtml document?
   Second, how do I pass parameters to the dtml methods?

4) Can Z SQL methods return anything?  After an insert I'd like to get
    some more information.

5) I've got the select (easy) and insert (too much typing!) working, next I
   need to do an update.  For this I need to do a select using a key, get
    the current values of the row, set all the text areas and selects to the
   current values, render the form, and then set up the target dtml document
   to do the update.  Is there an example of this anywhere?  Or a product to
   do it automagically?

6) How the heck do I set up a back button.  PARENTS[1] doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks in advance,

-- cary

Cary O'Brien