[Zope] solution for alpha2 permissions problem?

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:50:09 -0700

At 04:47 PM 6/15/99 -0400, Daniel M. Drucker wrote:

>I've been reading the list, but I guess I must have missed it --
>what's the solution to the alpha-2 permissions problem that prevents
>me from running zope as root/nobody so it can be on port 80?
>
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "z2.py", line 414, in ?
>      pf = open(PID_FILE, 'w')
>      IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>'/usr/local/zope2/var/Z2.pid'

It seems pretty clear from this traceback that Zope does not have
permissions to write a pid file. My guess is that since this bit of code
operates after Zope has changed uid, nobody probably doesn't have write
access to 'var/Z2.pid'

Make sure that the var directory *and all the files in it* are owned by the
uid the Zope is running as.

  $ chown -R nobody var
  $ chgrp -R nobody var

-Amos