[Zope] Cool but...

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:39:22 -0400

> Okay, Zope looks *really*, *really* cool.  The one thing I *really* wish
> I could do is to NFS mount or SMB mount the object database onto my file
> system.  Then I wouldn't have to go through the nonsense of uploading
> graphic files and Zope would automatically interoperate with all of my
> HTML editing tools.

Our approach is to use FTP to get into the Object Database, and this is
supported today, so long as you're using ZServer for your server.  Having
said this, while I think that SMB and NFS are interesting ideas, both have
their own SERIOUS problems that are difficult to overcome.  If you wish to
undertake this, you should look at what hoops have to be jumped through to
get FTP working... sorta.

If you're using Windows machines, you should investigate IE5+WebDAV (which
is called Web Folders)... this might be of some help.

Please understand that while the object database might LOOK like a file
system in some regards, it contains data which can not be expressed in any
common file system, as well as organizational ideas which are completely
foreign to the file-based world (such as acquisition).... just a bit of
clarity.

> Even so, I think I'm going to give Zope a whirl on a small project and see
> what happens.  I like PHP but wish it had exceptions to help create more
> robust code.  I think that Python is a better programming language, and
> the way Zope integrates it into the web environment is very intriguing.

Let us know how it goes at the end.

Chris