[Zope] Cool but...

michel@digicool.com michel@digicool.com
16 Jun 1999 17:44:57 -0400

David J. Orme <orme@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> Okay, Zope looks *really*, *really* cool.  The one thing I *really* wish
> I could do is to NFS mount or SMB mount the object database onto my file
> system.  Then I wouldn't have to go through the nonsense of uploading
> graphic files and Zope would automatically interoperate with all of my
> HTML editing tools.
>
> Even so, I think I'm going to give Zope a whirl on a small project and see
> what happens.  I like PHP but wish it had exceptions to help create more
> robust code.  I think that Python is a better programming language, and
> the way Zope integrates it into the web environment is very intriguing.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dave Orme

Similar to what you want to do can be done with our FTP support and WebDAV
support.  With Emacs and FTP, you can move files around transparently,
with ncftp you can also recursively FTP files into a server, and with
MSIE5.0 you can drag and drop files from your windows machine into
Zope using Web Folders.

Also I believe kfm can do remote file managment with HTTP.

The object database is not a filesystem, although I suppose it *could*
be made to look like one to a filesystem transport protocol, like NFS
or SMB, with vast amounts of effort.

-Michel