[Zope] Cool but...

Tim Potter Tim.Potter@anu.edu.au
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:56:27 +1000 (EST)

michel@digicool.com writes:

> > Okay, Zope looks *really*, *really* cool.  The one thing I *really* wish
> > I could do is to NFS mount or SMB mount the object database onto my file
> > system.  Then I wouldn't have to go through the nonsense of uploading
> > graphic files and Zope would automatically interoperate with all of my
> > HTML editing tools.

[...]

> The object database is not a filesystem, although I suppose it *could*
> be made to look like one to a filesystem transport protocol, like NFS
> or SMB, with vast amounts of effort.

It shouldn't be that much effort.  I've recently added a virtual
filesystem backend to samba that wraps up all disk accesses into a
bunch of function pointers.  You get a POSIX file descriptor I/O
interface to play with (i.e open/close/read/write calls).  The only tricky
bit will be reconciling a file descriptor interface with whatever
filesystem api Zope has.  I tried to work this out but just ended up
with a headache as my python skills are quite meagre at the moment.

As others have pointed out, the FTP and WebDAV interfaces seem to work
pretty well.

Regards,

Tim.

--
Tim Potter, System Admin/Programmer, Head Bee Guy
Advanced Computational Systems CRC, RSISE Bldg Australian National University,