[Zope] Zope performance too low ?

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:36:16 +0200

[snip]
>Same as above, but with two concurrent requests:
>
> Ran ab as: "./ab -n 1000 -c 2 http://aldous:9673/test"
>
> Bechmark output:
>
> Concurrency Level:      2
> Time taken for tests:   26.026 seconds
> Requests per second:    38.42
> Transfer rate:          11.41 kb/s received
>

>Same as above, with 4 concurrent requests:
>
> Concurrency Level:      4
> Time taken for tests:   26.738 seconds
> Requests per second:    37.40
> Transfer rate:          11.13 kb/s received

Ouch. These extremely low transfer rates bother me. The theoretical
bandwidth on a local machine transfer should be way, way higher. Otoh,
your document was very small, so the stop/start, connect/teardown
margins would be relatively high. I'd like to see benchmarks with longer
(>3KB) documents.

>One problem with *both* of our benchmarks is that they are running on
>the same machine in both cases.  Also, what are we
>benchmarking against?
>Another 'application server'?  How would ASP compare?  or PHP?  How can
>you compare two wildly different technologies (PHP has no
>infrastructure, object model, object orientation, standard managment
>interface, standard security model, acquisition etc. the list goes on
>for miles)?  I suspect Zope would blow the doors off of any old CGI
>script that has to spawn on every hit.

Yep, but ASP, PHP, Cold Fusion, etc. have proven to be very, very fast.

I suspect the main explanation is (a) they're in-process solutions
tightly integrated with the web server (except for Cold Fusion, which
iirc has a client stub that uses IPC to talk to the CF server, much like
Zope on Win32 today), and (b) they're not written in Python.

[snip]
>What this proves, is that benchmarks are very strange things.  I trust
>politicians more than I trust benchmarks, including my *own*
>benchmarks.

True, although your users (or you clients :-)) may be your best
benchmark.