[Zope] Problems: How should I run zope under windows?

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:03:19 +0200

How should I run zope under windows?
So far I tried 1.10.2, which is the current stable release.

1. I'm a little afraid to install (and configure) apache,
so I tried the Xitami Web server. This runs fine, but I could not
figure out how to configure the system so that the homepage
which is in the Zope folder 'root/Company/index_html' when the user
enters http://www.company.com/
Hints, anyone?

2. So, I tried using ZopeHTTPServer, without any external webserver.
The above problem is easy to solve: Store the homepage in the
Zope folder 'root/index_html'.
Problems:
a) IE 4 and 5 seem not to finish the transfer on any page (although
the data is transmitted completely), finally they timeout.
Netscape works fine. (This could be related to the fact that I run
a proxy server for internet access on the same machine).
b) I had to patch ZopeHTTPServer.py and BaseHTTPServer.py from the python1.5
lib to fix extremely long response times, which apparently have to do with
reverse DNS
lookups, the problem and the solution is fully described in
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=465892270.

3. Finally, I downloaded ZServer beta together with the 'recent snapshot'
of ZPublisher, but I could not get this to work at all.

I'm stuck. What is the recommended way? Please note that I would like to
stay
away from IIS...

Thomas Heller
ION-TOF GmbH