[Zope] ANNOUNCE: Z Classes Tutorial Update

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:29:14 -0400

> Thanks Amos that really looks great.

Thanks!

> I have a general question about ZClasses: Why can they only
> be used via
> creating a Product?

Um, I believe that the rational is that the Control Panel provides a
centralized location for creating new Zope objects. A Product Folder is
just a way of compartmentalizing Zope extensions. The Control Panel is
just a way of containing those extensions.

> Seems like that kind of defeats part of
> the purpose
> of having ZClasses -- freeing people from writing Python methods in a
> lot of cases (which requires superuser priveledges). By only
> being able
> to add ZClasses through the Product interface, one has to
> have superuser
> priveledges to create ZClasses, right.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. To my knowledge you can create
Products in the Control Panel without being the "super manager". Though
you do need to have the "Manager" role.

Did you try creating a Product in the Control Panel and run into access
problems?

> What would be much nicer is for ZClasses to be creatable at
> any level in
> the Zope heirarchy.

We've talked about being able to have multiple Control Panels at
different levels in the Zope hierarchy, so that Control Panel setting
are not global. This change is a ways off yet, and is not necessary in
order to use Z Classes.

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com