[Zope] Updating object's modification timestamp?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:33:00 +0200

At 18:36 22/06/99 , Alexander Staubo wrote:
>So in order trigger a "modification" I actually have to go modify a
>dummy property? Okay. For now I'll "touch" pages by calling
>manage_changeProperties() on some dummy property, but in the long run
>this isn't good enough.
>
>I suggest adding a touch() method that lets you update the time stamp
>programmatically. Why? Well, in my case I have a front page which uses
>an SQL database for news, articles, and various things. Whenever an
>editor posts an article (through a Zope-built management interface), the
>front page should be "touched"; otherwise Zope will give the wrong
>Last-Modified date to the browser, and all users will see is the old
>page. Of course, I could just succumb to a fit of laziness and set
>Cache-Control: no-cache and forget all about it, but I think caching is
>a good thing.

A better option would be to send DC a patch where you move the setting of
the last-modified header to _before_ rendering the DTML, so it can be
overridden in that DTML. Or so that it at least checks wether the DTML has
set a last-modified header and leaves it intact.

That way you can programmatically change the last-modified header sent to
the browser. Much better solution.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer