[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Documentation Announcement

Doug Hellmann hellmann@GNNcast.net
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:56:59 +0000

Jon Ide wrote:

> Pam,
>
> This is welcome news!

I'll second that!

> Let me give you some feedback from the perspective of a Zope newbie. When I
> first learned about Zope I was quite excited about it, but when I started to
> delve into it a little further I was somewhat discouraged. Everything is in

Our group has also had some trouble coming up to speed.  We are actually
doing much better now that we're far enough into the research have the
code make sense when we read it, but there were a couple of frustrating
days at the beginning of the learning process.

> So a couple of things that would be invaluable for someone like me:
>
>    a) A big-picture roadmap, something to orient the newcomer.
>
>    b) A substantive real-life example. Examples are always the best way to
> learn how to use new software tools. You folks are using Zope in the real
> world. Is there an example application that you can publish (i.e., source
> code)? Preferably this would be an example showing Zope's use to access
> databases on the back-end and handling e-commerce (credit card transactions,
> shopping carts, etc.).

I would add to that list:

    c) Documentation for the existing classes.

Just knowing what classes are out there would make it *much* easier to
figure out how to go.  We are looking at creating Products, but what we
really want is to modify the behavior of an existing object.  If we knew
what to subclass, that'd make life much nicer.

Thanks,
Doug Hellmann