[Zope] Is a JPython implementation within the realm of possibility?

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:53:19 -0800

At 02:15 PM 3/1/99 -0500, Bern McCarty wrote:

>I am wondering if it is within the realm of possibility that the Zope
>project might eventually support operation as a Java program (under JPython)
>in addition to operation under traditional Python.  I know it would probably
>be a large undertaking and that there may well be better places to spend
>precious energy, but I thought I'd register my interest in the prospect.

Zope relies on a lot of code in C as well as Python, so I doubt you'll see
Zope on JPython anytime soon.

However, ZPublisher (Zope's ORB) could be made to work with JPython without
too much trouble. In fact a while ago I tried this and succeeded, though it
was quite slow. The main issue is that ZPublisher uses 'regex' while
JPython uses 're'.

-Amos