[Zope] The Zope Starship (for Python PSA)

Robert OConnor rocon@pivot.net
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:04:51 -0500

I Followed the URL backward from:
Michel Pelletier's "You've Not Mail !!!"  Page,
http://starship.python.net:9673/crew/furtrapper/NotMail

Hey, this is neat,  starship.python.net must be
running ZOPE because the port is "9673" !!!
therefore going to:
http://starship.python.net:9673
"Welcome to Zope at the Starship Python!"

So, to join the crew of the Starship and get your own
ZOPE pages on the internet requires PSA membership.
One can join now and pay for a half year $50/yr
or $25 for half.  Membership wouldn't be effective
until April 1st (a Foolish day!)

So, Zope is cool and so is Python.  I am considering
joining PSA on the strength of Zope and Elegance
of Python but I'm concerned that Python doesn't seem
to have much "MindShare" like Java or Perl.

Ok so our local Borders has only one book on Python:
"Programming Python" by Mark Lutz (Pub: O'Reilly)
A great book that is dated 1996.  The shelves are
full of books on Java and there are quite a few Perl books.

What is the BIG PICTURE here?  Is Python so good
that lot of programming tomes are unnecessary?

Why is there so little press on Python and so much
for the less Elegant and slower Java?

Is Python a "secret weapon"?  If so, the secret should
get out to the world so Python gets more mind share
and doesn't develop cobwebs.

***So, where are the rabid Python fans?***
Yes, a bunch of them are on the ZOPE list.

Great answers to these questions will only help ZOPE!

-bobo connor