[Zope] The Zope Starship (for Python PSA)

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:41:17 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> Ok so our local Borders has only one book on Python: "Programming
> Python" by Mark Lutz (Pub: O'Reilly) A great book that is dated 1996.
> The shelves are full of books on Java and there are quite a few Perl
> books.

FYI:  I know of at least 5 other Python-related book projects in various
stages of development.  One of those should be hitting those same shelves
in April sometime (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython/).  It even
mentions Zope in a couple of places.  [Disclosure: I'm a coauthor of said
book]

> What is the BIG PICTURE here?  Is Python so good that lot of
> programming tomes are unnecessary?

Python is certainly easier to learn than some other languages.

> Why is there so little press on Python and so much for the less
> Elegant and slower Java?

Mostly, because Java is backed by a multibillion dollar company with lots
of $$'s for public relations.

--david

ObZope: I'm having a hard time with the 'access' file -- it looks as if my
Zope installation (w/ ZServer) only accesses the first entry in the file.
What am I missing?