[Zope] ANNOUNCE: FAQ Tool sample Zope app.

Martijn Pieters mj@antracietm.nl
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:49:28 +0100

At 00:53 02/03/99 , Gary Stephenson wrote:
>I assumed that the .DAT file contained all the component DTML and PY scripts
>etc
>and that these would be expanded into the Product's home directory somehow.
Is
>this not the case?  Is the .DAT distribution a way of  distributing the
objects
>without the source ? (more Cathedral than Bazaar)

The .DAT file only contains information to be added to the Object Database. It
won't be expanded into files onto your harddisk.

Zope stores all instances of classes in it's object databse, via a process
called 'pickling'. This, in simple terms, means that all data stored in an
object is turned into one stream of data that can be stored in a file.

As a 'Levered' product contains nothing but instances of classes, not the
classes themselves, it suffices to distribute only the compressed pickled
contents of the product. The source for the used classes you allready have (at
least with the FAQ you do, it uses only DTML Methods and Folders), and the DTML
scripts can be viewed in Zope, so you do get all the source.

The objects that make up the product should normally be automaticly
decompressed and imported into Zope, but the decrompressing seems to be
failing.
--
M.J. Pieters, Web Developer