[Zope] ZMySQLDA

John Eikenberry jae@kavi.com
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:48:33 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Timothy Grant wrote:

> gcc -shared  MySQLmodule.o  -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql
> -lmysqlclien
> t -lm -o MySQLmodule.so
> ld: cannot open -lmysqlclient: No such file or directory
> make: *** [MySQLmodule.so] Error 1
>
> I did a locate on mysqlclient, and coudln't find the file. though I did
> find some called libmysqlclient. So I changed the both Setup and
> Setup.in to reflect that other name. however, I still get the above
> error.

Your problem wasn't with the library, -lmysqlclient refers to
libmysqlclient (think of the -l as short for lib). The problem probably
was that libmysqlclient wasn't on the path gcc searched for libraries.
This is controled by the -L argument (-L is library paths).

So... here's what to do:

1. Get everything cleaned up (ie. back in the condition after first
   untarring ZMySQL).
2. Edit Setup.in, add -L<the path to libmysqlclient> to the end of the
   last line.
3. Proceed as usual (make -f Makefile.pre.in boot; make)

---

John Eikenberry
[jae@kavi.com - http://taos.kavi.com/~jae/]
 will deserve neither and lose both."