[Zope] Simulating static URLs, end-user session management

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:03:14 -0600

Robert Wentworth wrote:
> C) Despite my Python and OO background,
> it's not easy to absorb it all at once.  This does
> make me somewhat concerned, as my business partner,
> who will be a content provider, has no OO experience.
> I don't want to produce a system where it will be
> hopeless for her (possibly with help from another
> developer) to take over if I get hit by a bus.
> Thoughts...?

Robert,

I'm only going to address your last point, but it's
something I feel strongly about.

Let's ignore the technical issues, except to mention
that only you can judge is Zope is appropriate for
your situation.  Fortunately, you have an excellent
opportunity to discover its relative strengths and
weaknesses.

One of the important secondary issues (some would
claim the primary) about Open Source is that it
protects your business against the "What happens if
Robert gets hit by a bus?" scenario.  Digital Creations
is in the business of providing support to organizations
that use its products.  Heck, in this sense it's even
superior to key man insurance.

Furthermore, because of DC's courageous decision to
release Zope as Open Source, not only is your company
protected against *your* untimely demise, but it's even
secure against the day Hadar decides to transfer all
the company assets into hedge funds.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.