[Zope] Help - need a brainless guide to getting zope running

Andrew Wooldridge andreww@netscape.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:15:47 -0800

Ok, I consider myself pretty technical, but not a UNIX master, and I've
used NT enough to know about services, etc.  But I cannot for the life
of me figure out how to get zope running as a service without manually
starting it from start.bat.

Could someone please post somewhere a "zope for dummies" description of
getting zope running as a service on NT.

Here's what I do:

I downloaded zope 1.10.2
I unzipped and ran the installer.
It works fine to the point where it wants me to choose between running
zope alone or as a service.
I've tried it "both ways" and although I can get zope running fine by
manually starting it from start.bat, and
I make the zope service start automatically, it will not work as a
service!

I dont have any other web server on this machine and dont really care
which server I use. I had assumed that ZopeHTTPServer  would run as the
service, but it doesnt work...

Is there just a minimal way to get zope going on it's own?

I know the ip address etc. of my system, but that doesnt seem to be the
issue.

I wouldnt even mind if in the install you had an option for "install
default web server" so that zope can piggy back on it.

Does it have something to do with setting permissions to the var
directory?

All I'm basically looking for is sort of a recipe style instruction on
how to get it up and running. (With no handwaving like "now configure
your system to run the zope.exe".  Assume I'm a total idiot...

Which I'm not, but I'm still having problems.

- Andrew Wooldridge    -     Opinions expressed are my own -
- andreww@netscape.com -     http://people.netscape.com/andreww/
- ICQ: 6345881         -     Find It at http://dmoz.org -